A Quick Guide To Grilling Chicken
Before we get into how long to grill your chicken, use this primer to prep the chicken and your grill.
- Begin with refrigerated raw poultry. If frozen, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight in a rimmed tray or container such as a baking pan preferably with a lid.
- If desired, remove skin from the poultry.
- Use the list below to determine if direct or indirect grilling is best for your cut of chicken.
- For a charcoal grill , place poultry on grill rack, bone side up , directly over medium coals. Grill, uncovered, for the time given or until the proper temperature is reached, turning once halfway through grilling.
- For a gas grill , preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place poultry on grill rack, bone side down , over medium heat. Cover and grill for the time given below in our how long to grill chicken instructions below.
- Test for doneness using a meat thermometer. For the most accurate, quick results, we recommend using an instant-read thermometer . The thermometer should register 165°F to 175°F, depending on the cut you’re cooking. If desired, during the last 5 to 10 minutes of grilling, brush with a sauce, such as this fan-favorite balsamic-barbecue sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and tent with foil. Allow the meat to rest about 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
How Do You Store Leftover Chicken Breasts
Dip them in an airtight and sealable plastic storage bag. Then keep the plastic bag in the fridge for not more than 3 days.
You can pair the griddled or marinated chicken with many side dishes. For example, you can quickly prepare asparagus on a flat top grill to go along with it.
As you can see, a flat top grill is a great investment to have either at a restaurant or at home. It makes cooking different foods easier and enjoyable.
How To Grill Chicken Breasts:
1. Preheat the grill on high for 10-15 minutes, then use your grill brush to scrape any previous remnants off your grates.
2. the fully thawed chicken breasts. A clean and easy way to marinate the chicken is to place it in a large plastic zip top bag, add your marinade and make sure your entire chicken breast is covered. In this particular instance, I used olive oil and added a few fresh basil leaves.
3. Here’s how long to grill chicken on a gas grill. Once you have preheated your grill for 10-15 minutes, prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat at 425-450°F and get your iGrill probes inserted into the chicken.
4. Place marinated chicken breasts on grill over direct medium heat.
Read Also: How Long Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
Quick Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts:
How long do I grill chicken breast?
Grill chicken breasts for around 9 to 10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
How long do you grill chicken on each side?
Grill chicken breasts around 5 minutes on each side.
What’s the perfect grilled chicken temp?
Internal temperature of chicken breasts should be 165°F.
How hot should your grill be for chicken?
Heat your grill to between 425 and 450°F for chicken breasts.
More Ways To Season Grilled Chicken Breast
Use this recipe as a jumping-off point for any of your favorite rubs and seasonings. In addition to the go-to chicken marinade Ive suggested in the recipe below, here are a few more ideas to get you started.
- Lemon Grilled Chicken Breast. Zest 1 additional lemon into your marinade. Finish the grilled chicken with an extra squeeze of lemon juice.
- Italian Grilled Chicken Breast. Season the chicken with Italian seasoning. Serve topped with a handful of grated Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Breast. Instead of marinating, brine the chicken by sprinkling it with kosher salt. Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Brush off the excess salt. Baste the chicken with Barbecue Sauce before and halfway through grilling. Serve with extra sauce for dipping.
- Buffalo Grilled Chicken Breast. Instead of brushing the chicken with BBQ sauce per the above, brush it with Buffalo sauce. Then use it to top this Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Teriyaki Chicken Breast. Create a marinade using 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade to brush over the finished grilled chicken.
You May Like: Legends Bar And Grill Omaha
How Do You Bbq Chicken Thighs Without Burning Them
One of two best methods to preventing burning Brush the Grill with Oil or Spray The second best way to avoid burning soak the meat in oil based marinate before cooking. This will help prevent the browning of meat. You can also use a marinating oil like olive oil, canola oil and coconut oil. If you dont have any of these oils, you should consider using a vegetable oil such as sunflower or safflower oil instead. Dont forget to add salt and pepper to taste. Also, make certain that the temperature of this marinated meat is between 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit. For the fastest results, cook the chicken for about 20 minutes per pound. To get the perfect sear, place the pieces of chicken on a rack set over a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes.
Grill Over Indirect Heat
I know our tendency when grilling is to cook hot and fast from start to finish, but we can tear a page out of the low and slow playbook to really improve the overall texture and tenderness of our grilled chicken breast. The key is to bring the chicken up to temperature over indirect heat. This means you have direct heat going on half of your grill and no heat on the other half.
Your chicken breasts are going to be grilled on the indirect heat side of your grill where the heat is circulating and cooking the chicken without charring the outside edges of the chicken or burning those thin ends to a crisp before the middle is done. Your overall grill temperature should be hovering around 350 degrees F. This means you will have juicy, flavorful chicken from edge to edge!
Use a great internal thermometer in the thickest part of your chicken breast to check the temperature of your chicken as it cooks. I recommend an instant read thermometer from ThermoWorks. Your target temperature for this indirect cooking step is 150-155 degrees F before moving on to the next step. If you can keep your grill temperature at 350 degrees F, depending on the size of your chicken, this should take about 20-25 minutes.
Read Also: Avocado Grill Palm Beach Gardens
How Long Should You Marinate Chicken
Give it 5-6 hours for the best flavour and texture if you dont have that long, even 10 minutes of marinating will give flavour to the outside of chicken. Marinades without acid can be left longer but wont make them work any better, so stick to 24 hours as a maximum. We also wrote bbq rub recipe for chicken.
Read Also: Temperature For Grilling Pork Chops
Grilling Times At A Glance
These grilling times are based on a minimal internal temperature of 165 degrees F, as recommended by the USDA.
- Boneless chicken breasts: 7 to 8 minutes per side
- Bone-in chicken breasts: 15 minutes per side
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: 5 to 6 minutes per side
- Bone-in chicken thighs: 8 to 10 minutes per side
- Chicken wings: 25 minutes total, flipping occasionally
Read Also: Mcdonald’s Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Why You Should Let Your Pellet Grill Chicken Breast Rest
You should always let your pellet grill chicken breasts rest after cooking. Heres why.
When the chicken is heated, the juices near the chickens exterior evaporate into the surrounding air. Most of the juices that stay in the chicken are drawn towards the center. The juiciness is concentrated.
If you cut into your chicken right away, all that lovely juice spills out.
But, if you let it rest, magic happens. Well, really, its science. The juices in the interior want balance, so they make their way out of the center and spread out across the chicken evenly.
Thats how you get tender, juicy chicken.
So, put your cooked chicken on a clean plate. Cover it with some tin foil. And let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes.
The Key To Perfectly Grilled Chicken:
Precook it in the oven ahead of time so you know its fully cooked and ready for the grill. Cooking it ahead of time also lets you cook it slowly, which yields nice, juicy, and tender meat. And, it gives you time to put your feet up during grilling season because most of the work is done beforehand.
Read Also: Cast Iron Skillet On The Grill
How Long Does It Take To Grill Thighs On The Grill
Grill bone-in chicken for 10 minutes, turning over once, until cooked to 160°F. Insert the tip of a meat thermator into thick parts of chicken, such as thighs, breasts, wings, etc. If using an oven, place the pan in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut across the grain of meat, making sure all sides are cut. Do not cut through bones. Place the pieces of poultry on a plate and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice, vegetables, salad, bread, soup, pasta, potatoes, stew, casserole, chili, vegetable soup or chili sauce. Chicken breast can also make a great meal when grilled. Just slice the breast meat thinly and grill for about 8 minutes on each side.
Choosing The Right Huli Huli Chicken Ingredients
The ingredients for huli huli chicken are likely already in your pantry or easily found at your favorite grocery store. Here are a few tips to make the most of them.
- Chicken thighs: Boneless skinless chicken thighs work best as they stay moist and juicy while grilling. Chicken breast can also be used, but the chicken will likely be drier. If using chicken breast, it is best to marinate longer .
- Pineapple juice Use unsweetened pineapple juice for best results. If using canned pineapples, use the juice for the marinade and save the pineapples to grill and serve as a side dish.
- Ketchup: Your favorite ketchup will add flavor and richness to the sauce.
- Low sodium soy sauce: Use low sodium soy sauce as regular soy sauce increases the saltiness of the marinade.
- Brown sugar: The sugar will caramelize as it grills and give the chicken a sweet flavor.
- Chicken broth: Chicken broth will add more moisture and flavor to the marinade. Use our homemade chicken broth, or if using store-bought, opt for low sodium to avoid it being overly salty.
- Garlic Freshly minced garlic will give you the best flavor.
- Ginger: Fresh ginger is best, but ginger paste is a good alternative.
Want it spicy? If you like the chicken spicy, add red chili flakes to the marinade for that extra kick of heat.
Recommended Reading: Lennys Grill And Subs Menu
Why Do Your Chickens Burn On The Gas Grill
Your chicken gets burned on the gas grill. Well! The reason behind it is that you may have the temperature set too high. It is the steak that requires a higher flame to scorch and quickly cook on the grill.
On the other side, chicken may burn from the outside at the same temperature and not be fully cooked from the inside. It will cook more evenly and thoroughly at low or medium temperatures.
Grilled Chicken Breast: The Solution
One method is to marinate chicken cutlets, or chicken breasts pounded to an even thickness, and quickly grill them on high heat. We use this method for our cilantro lime chicken and it works fine.
Another way, which doesn’t require you to change the shape of the chicken breasts, is to brine the chicken first.
Don’t Miss: Burton’s Bar And Grill
Do You Close The Grill When Cooking Chicken
Just as steaks are better when theyve been grilled with the lid open, chicken benefits from a closed lid. This creates an oven effect inside the grill, which helps cook the chicken all the way through. If you still want nice grill marks and who doesnt? start by searing the cuts on both sides before closing the lid to finish cooking.
Your patience will be tested, but avoid opening that lid to see whats happening. Every time you do, heat escapes, which could make the cooking uneven or take longer.
How To Cook Chicken Breasts On The Grill With Aluminum Foil
You crave grilled chicken, but don’t feel like the time-consuming clean up that follows. Cook chicken in foil on the grill, for a flavorful meal without the mess.
Video of the Day
Lay boneless chicken breast with vegetables and sauce on a large sheet of foil. Fold it up, and place on a hot grill. Close the lid, and in 15 to 20 minutes, your meal is ready.
Also Check: Temp For Medium Steak On Grill
The Best Chicken For Grilling
For the juiciest, most flavorful grilled chicken, use bone-in, skin-on pieces. Place the chicken on a paper towel-lined tray and pat it dry. This removes excess moisture, which prevents the skin from getting crispy. Remember to wash your hands and all equipment after handling raw chicken.
Next, season both sides generously with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and allow the chicken to come to room temperature for 15 minutes. This helps it cook evenly and gives the salt and pepper a chance to work their magic. Keep in mind that sweet sauces like glazes and barbecue sauce shouldn’t be applied until the chicken is finished cooking. They will burn before the chicken is fully cooked.
Tips To Make The Best Grilled Chicken:
- I used chicken breasts for this recipe. I like to pound the chicken to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. It makes it tender and cooked more evenly. This chicken is grilled for 4-6 minutes per side. If you are using thicker chicken, it will take longer to cook.
- If you use bone-in chicken it will take more time to cook completely.
- Its best to have a meat thermometer handy so you can check the chicken to see when its cooked The chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F.
When I flatten the chicken I put them in a large plastic bag and smash it with a rolling pin to make the chicken a uniform size. Then I place it on a cutting board and cut them into uniformed sized pieces of chicken. I usually get about 3 pieces of chicken per chicken breast
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast 1/2 3/4 inch thickness
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Don’t Miss: Weber Grill Igniter Not Clicking
Fix: How To Defrost Chicken
So, how should you thaw chicken? Whether you are using thighs, breasts or a whole bird, your prep begins the day before your dinner. The best way to defrost the bird is slowly in the fridge. If you do happen to forget, dont worry. Similar to thawing a frozen turkey at the last minute, you can fill your sink with cold water, submerge your frozen chicken and change out the water every 30 minutes until it is defrosted.
How Long Do You Have To Grill Chicken Breast
From start to end, it may take you about half an hour to grill the chicken breast. One thing you have to keep in mind is that you are cooking to the temperature, not to the time. You can use an instant-read meat thermometer to remove the chicken breast as the internal temperature reads 160 degrees F.
After removing it from the grill do not serve it instantly. It is better to tent it with aluminum foil for 5 to 10 minutes. This may help you in bringing the chicken up to a finished temperature of 165 degrees.
You can give a try to your own flavor combinations to get a grilled chicken breast that is certainly perfect.
Recommended Reading: Best Outdoor Electric Grill 2020
How Long To Brine Chicken Breasts
All it takes is 30 minutes in a simple brine solution of 1/4 cup kosher salt dissolved in 4 cups water. This is all the time you need for the chicken breasts to absorb enough moisture so they can better hold up to the heat of the grill without drying out.
With a half an hour of brining, the salt that is absorbed isn’t so much that the chicken becomes salty, but it is enough so that the flavor of the grilled chicken will be enhanced. We would normally salt grilled chicken breasts, right? You don’t need to do that if you brine.
How To Make Use Of Bamboo Skewers
This is the most used and used skewers as a food.So, we are going to talk about something you can not miss in a food.Bamboo is not just a salad we can find in Japan, Korea, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.Bamboo provides health, especially bamboo is so good for the back and the spine.So, what we have to do to cook for bamboo?The first thing to do, put the bamboo on the grill.How to Use and Cook Bamboo SkewersCooking time depends on the size and the thickness of the bamboo.Once it starts cooking, we can turn the skewers because it is nice and easy.So, how can I prepare the bamboo for a meal or a barbecue?The first thing to do is to look for bamboo that is sticky and edible.Then, you will have to look for thick and sticky.These are the things you should keep in mind when looking for bamboo skewers.Always remember that bamboo has a more complicated and individual structure.So, before use, please check the bamboo.How to use a Bamboo SkewerNow, after cooking, Ill use it as you can see.How long can bamboo skewer lastBamboo is made from bamboo, so they are very delicious.Even when bamboo is fully cooked, the bamboo is still covered with little sweetness.It is recommended to cook the
Also Check: Firebirds Wood Fired Grill Locations