Are Omaha Steaks Overpriced
Its hard to declare something overpriced for a mail-order company, as I mentioned in my comments above. Compared with other mail order companies, prices are not out of the ordinary for Omaha Steaks and the selection they offer. However, its important to be realistic about your expectations, as well as open up possibilities to getting a great deal.
What Plans Does Butcherbox Vs Omaha Steaks Offer
In a delivery service, everyone is looking for something different, but typically flexibility is important as well as the option to cancel. For me, I prefer a good balance of both. I like the ability to select my own options but also the assurance I can easily change my mind.
- ButcherBox offers monthly and bimonthly plans, with the option to pause delivery for up to half a year, as well to cancel at any time before the next invoice, though they ask you to email rather than directly call.
- Omaha Steaks is a delivery service, but does not specialize in subscriptions. Their model is instead by individual orders. In that sense, ButcherBox is the true subscription service, and a bit more convenient.
How Long Are Omaha Steaks Good For Once Thawed
The nice thing about thawing your steaks in the fridge is that it gives you some time before you have to cook them. If you’re not in a hurry to prepare steaks for dinner, they’ll stay good inside the fridge for up to 5 days. Or in case you changed your mind and would rather serve something else, you can safely refreeze your Omaha Steaks within that period as long as you didn’t remove them from the fridge.
But if you used the quick thaw cold water method, you have to cook them right away to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. As you’re thawing, you’ve got to decide if you’re going to grill, pan sear, or sear roast your quality meat right after. It shouldn’t be too hard. Just follow their easy-to-follow cooking instructions and you should be able to indulge in their fine meats in no time.
Recommended Reading: River Grille On The Tomoka
Final Verdict: I Would Choose Butcherbox Over Omaha Steaks
Bottom Line: ButcherBox, despite its reputation for high prices, has an edge over Omaha Steaks for the best value. Omaha Steaks does not provide information on sourcing, does not have as high of standards, and is not far cheaper as one might imagine. In addition, what should be the biggest benefit for Omaha Steaksthat is, flavor, is in fact not delivered.
The one area that Omaha Steaks does have an edge over ButcherBox is with its return policy. ButcherBox means risking $130-$150, and there is discrepancy in experiences when it comes to delivery and customer service. So proceed with caution.
Where to Buy: You can order from ButcherBox here, though as of late March 2020, they do have a waiting list.
Alternatives: Still looking for another meat delivery or meat subscription option? Check out recommendations for best organic meat delivery .
You can also read our more specific ButcherBox Alternative recommendations.
Meat Quality & Grading
One red flag I ran into when researching Omaha Steaks is that they dont share the grade of beef they use.
If youre unfamiliar, the USDA grade shields are quality grades used in the beef industry to help people understand the class of beef their getting.
- Prime beef is from young, well-fed cattle. It generally has a lot of fat or marbling.
- Choice beef is high quality but has less fat than prime beef.
- Select beef is the leanest beef.
- Standard and Commercial grades of beef are usually sold as ungraded or as store brand meat.
Food Box HQ Note: In researching the beef grading process, I stumbled upon this YouTube video of how its done. Its long but very informative.
Another red flag I ran into when researching Omaha Steaks meat quality is that no where do they mention if their meats have hormones or antibiotics. In fact, I literally searched the entire site and couldnt find any mention of hormones and only one product page that mentions no antibiotics were used in raising the animal.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Chicken Legs On The Grill
What About Refunds Or Exchanges
Theres always a chance you or I wont be satisfied with your shipment, and for this reason, its important to investigate shipping policies.
- Omaha Steaks offers a 100 percent refund policy. For a reason, you can request money back or exchange in products by calling their customer service line.
- ButcherBox does not offer refunds. Though you may be reimbursed for missing or damaged items on the shipping end, you cannot be reimbursed for a product you dont like.
Can You Eat 2 Year Old Frozen Meat
Well, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, any food stored at exactly 0°F is safe to eat indefinitely. So the USDA recommends tossing uncooked roasts, steaks, and chops after a year in the freezer, and uncooked ground meat after just 4 months. Meanwhile, frozen cooked meat should go after 3 months.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook London Broil On Grill
Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
This dessert was incredible. If you watched the video above, youll see when we cut into the cake the molten chocolate inside literally pours out. It was very decadent and rich without being overly sweet. Emily and I actually had to split one between ourselves because, while small, theyre very filling.
Omaha Steaks Review A Reliable Source Of Meat
There are countless online meat and steaks providers to choose from, and finding the right one can be tiring. And the moment you start reading those online comments, figuring out whats good and whats not tends to become an overwhelming experience.
Recently, we’ve tried Omaha Steaks, one of the largest providers. Let’s see how they stack up in that department, which will hopefully help you make the right choice for yourself.
You May Like: Firebirds Wood Fired Grill Locations
How Are Omaha Steaks Aged
The majority of their steak is dry-aged for around 20 days, in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. Wet aging is more economical, as it takes mere days. With dry aging, the process takes longer. Wet aging vs dry aging is not as simple as one being superior to the other it depends on the cut of meat. Dry aging is preferred for meat with more fat and marbling, while wet aging is suited for lean cuts, such as flank or flat iron steak.
Why Do People Buy Mail
Mail order steaks have been an option for decades, but now you can find more places to buy steak online than ever before. From gift sets to specialty meat and even meat subscriptions like Good Chop, theres no shortage of options. Mail order steaks have acquired a reputation for premium, tender quality, succulent flavors, and unique cuts. Many look to mail-order steaks for gifting or just to enjoy a new type of steak. For those who buy steak at a grocery store, options can be limiting. Even local butchers often have access to a limited variety.
Thus, people order steak online for a few main purposes: for entertaining, for gifting, and for enjoying a type of steak they otherwise would not.
You May Like: Made In Usa Pellet Grills
Does Omaha Steaks Have Free Shipping
Omaha Steaks only provides delivery for orders above $169. Shipping is expensive, especially for the non-continental United States and other countries. Fortunately, there are several free shipping packages under $169, which will pop up while shopping.
While Omaha Steaks does ship to other countries, selections are more limited. Check if you are on the right website before placing your order!
How To Order Omaha Steaks
Ordering Omaha Steaks is simple. While you can call 1-800-960-8400, it’s far easier to fill up your online shopping cart on the website, where nearly every single page shows you mouth-watering meats so you know what you’re getting. Shipping is free on any order of $149 and up, but that’s not a hard number to hit when you’re filling your cart with premium steaks.
While subscription plans are available in monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly options, you can also order a one-off box, and Omaha Steaks will even let you assemble your own custom combinations.
You can also order gift cards and plans, but fair warning that many people on TripAdvisor who aren’t regular Omaha Steaks customers found themselves frustrated by the company’s tendency to list meats at one price as part of a larger box or a much more expensive one if ordered alone. Add in the shipping threshold and you may find gift cards an aggravating present to your loved ones during the holidays.
Don’t Miss: What Temp For Medium Steak
Is Omaha Steak Beef Grass
|Type of Beef|
The majority of Omaha Steak is grain-fed. They have added a modest selection of grass-fed beef products. These include grass-fed burgers, Filet Mignon, Ribeye, and New York Strip Steak. See All Grass-Fed Products Here. Not everyone prefers grass-fed, and there are pros and cons of grass-fed vs grain-fed beef, as seen in the table above. But grass-fed beef is indeed healthier for you, and some also prefer its taste.
Overview Of Omaha Steaks
Omaha Steaks has a long history, handed down from generation to generation for over a century. Founded in Omaha around 1917 by a father-son duo from Latvia, the company initially began as a small-scale butcher shop. Quickly they grew, starting mail order ventures in 1953 and reaching global popularity a decade later.
Now, Omaha Steaks is a popular and well-established meat purveyor. In the past, they primarily marketed through teleservice and mailing, but now they also use social media and mobile apps to get with the times.
With two headquarters, three processing locations, and two distribution centers in Omaha, plus 70+ stores nationwide, Omaha Steaks sure flourished from humble beginnings.
Before we jump into this Omaha Steaks review, lets take a look at some pros and cons.
Also Check: How To Grill Ribeye Steaks On Gas Grill
What Products Does Butcherbox Vs Omaha Steaks Offer
At first glance, Omaha Steaks simply offers more and I was impressed with the breadth of their selection of their butcher shop and meat subscription box. As a larger company you have a larger selection of goods, which include options beyond meat. Of course, quantity does not indicate high quality meat, and vise versa.
- Omaha Steaks sells 11 cuts of steak, specialty steak , ham, heritage breed pork, lamb, bison, ribs, bacon, and seafood . Non-meat offerings include full meals, appetizers, soups, vegetables, potatoes, wine, gifts, and desserts
- ButcherBox sells meat and Wild Alaskan salmon, with a focus on more limited cuts of steak, chicken, and pork . While this is far more limited for an online butcher, I did find myself less overwhelmed shopping for options. I also felt more information and attention was paid to specific meats. Much as I appreciated the meat cut options with Omaha Steaks, I prefer the narrower focus and high quality of delicious meat from ButcherBox.
How Can I Find Omaha Steaks Expiration Date
Basic information such as nutrition, ingredients, and cooking instructions can be found on the packaging of your Omaha Steaks T-bones. There will not be an expiration date.
The FDA doesnt require date labels on food packaging because they dont think its an exact science.
The agency just asks producers to let their customers know when they expect their products to be of the best quality.
According to the website of Omaha Steaks, their food products will stay fresh for up to three months if kept in the freezer.
The safe storage and handling of meat products is something they have specific instructions on.
They advise their customers to consume their meat within a reasonable period to enjoy it at its finest flavor and texture.
Also Check: Burton’s Bar And Grill
Do Omaha Steaks Come Frozen
According to their website, Omaha Steaks are shipped to you frozen and packed inside a “Mini Deep Freeze” cooler. This is filled with lots of dry ice to ensure that the meats get to you in perfect condition no matter what the weather is outside. Prior to sealing them in their packaging, all their meats are flash-frozen at the peak of their tenderness, which is on the 21st day after their carving. This is essential in stopping the aging process so that you can be assured that you get high-caliber meats all the time.
Is Omaha Steaks Worth It
Is Omaha Steaks worth the money? We found an assortment of conflicting customer feedback. While there are plenty of complaints about high-price for low-quality food, there are also loyal customers who continue to swear by the established company.
It is a definite fact that Omaha Steaks has years and years of experience, pulling through for over 100 years. They also have a large range of items available on their website.
For fine dining, their prices are cheaper. But, if the quality is subpar, then the steep bill is not worth it. Shipping is also exorbitant, and especially inaccessible if you live outside the continental U.S., but buyers can always keep an eye out for an Omaha Steaks sale.
Ultimately, if you are feeling adventurous and want to indulge in steaks, then Omaha Steaks may be for you! Just make sure to double-check the fine print with costs and shipping before you order.
- 50% off Omaha Steaks free shipping items and packages
- $25 off your order of $159 or more when you join their email list
- A TV offer of 12 free burgers when you purchase specific Fathers Day bundles
Since shipping is expensive, those complimentary delivery deals are particularly nice! While there are no Omaha Steaks coupon codes at this time, there are many discounts applied right to your order at checkout.
You May Like: Cook Steak In Air Fryer
Shipping Policies: Butcherbox Vs Omaha Steaks
Shipping policies are important for any food subscription, no matter the products.
- Omaha Steaks offers standard and express shipping, all priced by order amount. Charges range from eighteen to fifty dollars . Shipping is available in all fifty United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. You can track your order online at any time.
- ButcherBox offers free standard shipping and you can also track your order online at any time.
Unforgettable Taste Straight From The Heartland
Not all steaks are good enough to be Omaha Steaks.
Thatâs because we start with only the finest, grain-finished beef from Americaâs heartland, naturally aged to maximize tenderness, then flash-frozen at its peak and individually vacuum-sealed to lock in the most exquisite flavor youâve ever experienced. You just canât get steaks like these anywhere else. From fork-tender filet mignons to rich, buttery ribeyes and even gourmet gift packages for any occasion, youâll only find these deals right here.
- Omaha Steaks are hand-selected from only the finest cuts of grain-finished beef for consistent quality in every bite & hand-carved by master butchers with more than 900 years of combined experience.
- Steaks are only the beginning. With premium pork & chicken, ocean-fresh seafood, scrumptious sides, decadent desserts, legendary burgers, and so much more, thereâs something perfect for every palate.
- No matter the meal and no matter your taste, we make it easy to solve the dinner dilemma with exquisite entrÃ©es, hearty homestyle dinners, and even simple-to-prepare skillet meals.
- Individually vacuum-sealed and perfectly portioned so you can thaw only what you need and reduce food waste.
Recommended Reading: Outdoor Kitchen Built In Grill
How Do You Grill A Frozen Steak Without Thawing It
The key lies in setting up a two-level fire, placing the frozen steaks directly over the primary heat source for about 7 minutes per side, until theyre nice and browned all over. Once they have a beautiful crust on them, its time to let indirect heat handle the rest and move them 6 inches away from the heat source.
Faqs For Omaha Steaks Tv Offer
- Does Omaha Steaks offer Omaha Steaks Tv Offer?Yes, Omaha Steaks provides Omaha Steaks Tv Offer for customers.
- Where to find the latest Omaha Steaks Tv Offer?There are some methods for you to find Omaha Steaks Tv Offer October 2021 with ease.Look for Omaha Steaks Promo Codes at the omahasteaks.com carefully, it may be useful.Follow Omaha Steaks Facebook and Twitter for the latest Omaha Steaks Tv Offer.It is highly recommendded to check Omaha Steaks Promo Codes list on HotDeals,
- How do I use Omaha Steaks Tv Offer?Add Omaha Steaks products to shopping cart.Have a look at the Omaha Steaks Tv Offer list, and click Get Code to save the best coupon on your clipboard.Back to omahasteaks.com shopping cart page, and insert your contact info.Paste the code into the Coupon/Promo Code box and reduce your order cost.
- How to save more at Omaha Steaks?Omaha Steaks Tv Offer is a highly recommended way to save at Omaha Steaks, but there are also have more ways.Become a member of omahasteaks.com, and enjoy their member exclusive offers.Follow their special offer part on the top or footer of homepage, here you may find some amazing offers.Check back often on HotDeals.com, and the Omaha Steaks Promo Codes and Coupons are always available.
Also Check: How To Grill Chicken On Stovetop