Toppings For Grilled Asparagus
I love a dipping sauce! Who doesn’t? My favorite dip for grilled asparagus is a super easy basil aioli: In a food processor, combine Duke’s Mayo, fresh chopped basil, garlic powder, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until well combined.
Other fun and delicious topping ideas include:
– toasted breadcrumbs- fresh chopped herbs like basil, parsley, chives, dill- balsamic drizzle or glaze- flaky sea salt
Grilled Asparagus Topping Ideas
I like my grilled asparagus simple with a squeeze of lemon. But if youre looking for more ways to jazz up this simple green, try one of these ideas:
- Add browned butter and nuts, like in my recipe for Roasted Asparagus.
- Drizzle the grilled asparagus with balsamic vinegar then sprinkle with goat cheese and toasted pine nuts
- Top with smoky cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese
- Go Mediterranean style and top with feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and chopped kalamata olives
- Try it Asian style with ponzu sauce and toasted sesame seeds
How To Prepare Asparagus For Grilling
Get rid of the woody ends. The ends of asparagus are woody and tough to eat. Be gone, woody ends!
Trim asparagus with a snap. To prepare the asparagus, simply snap the ends to trim by bending each stalk gently about 2/3 of the way down the stalk. The asparagus will naturally break where the woody part begins, leaving tender stalks perfect for eating.
Or, line them up and cut all at once. If patience is not your virtue and snapping asparagus sounds blasé, line up a handful of the asparagus in a row and use a sharp knife to cut the asparagus 2/3 of the way down the stalk. Likewise, use a knife to tidy up the ends of the snapped asparagus if desired.
Season simply. Because the fire and grill adds so much flavor to grilled vegetables, olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper are the only flavorings youll need for dynamite grilled asparagus.
Recommended Reading: Hamburger On The Grill Recipe
How To Grill Asparagus Using Foil Packets
Detailed instructions and measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
I use a Weber gas grill. You can .
How To Grill Asparagus
With its deep nutty flavor, light char, and delicate smokiness, its no wonder grilled asparagus has become one of the most popular cookout side dishes around.
Let’s get grilling
Fire up a full chimney of Original Kingsford® Charcoal, or light a pile of about 100 briquets and prepare a two-zone fire. Heat should be medium-high, which means you can comfortably hold your hand above the coals for five to six seconds. Replace the main cooking grate and let the grill heat up.
Rinse your asparagus under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, remove the tough, woody bottom portion of the asparagus spears, leaving the tender green stems. Coat asparagus with olive oil then season with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Place your asparagus on the hot side of the grill, setting them perpendicular to the grates so they dont fall through . For thick asparagus spears, grill 4 to 5 minutes, turning frequently until fork tender and slightly charred. Thinner spears will cook in 2 to 3 minutes. If the asparagus becomes too charred, simply move the spears to the cool side of the grill, and allow them to cook through.
Once the asparagus is cooked, remove from the grill and plate. Your asparagus can be finished with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. Shaved or freshly grated Parmesan is also a great way to jazz up any platter of grilled veggies.
Read Also: California Fish Grill Mission Valley
How To Grill Asparagus On Bbq
Thinking of hosting a bombshell BBQ for your colleagues, mates, or family? While the meat is often always the center of attraction for such a plan, youre definitely going to need a few side dishes to go with the spread. Considering the amount of protein being consumed already, we do recommend green veggies to tie it all up nicely and nothing does the job better than grilled asparagus. Of all the veggies out there, it is easily adaptive to the grilling cooking method, much unlike its other veggie mates. In this brief piece, we are going to quickly explore how to grill this special veggie on BBQ and answer some of the common burning questions when doing so.
How Do You Prepare Asparagus In The Oven
While I typically make this asparagus in foil on the grill, there are times when its cold and I dont want to cook outside. You can also bake your packets in the oven at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
After your asparagus packets are grilled or baked, its time to peel back the foil and serve. I like serve lemon wedges on the side, as a squeeze of lemon juice adds great flavor to this dish.
Read Also: Best Marinade For Grilled Chicken
Can You Cook Asparagus On The Grill
Yes, you can cook asparagus on the grill. With the traditional method of grilling, you need to look for thick asparagus stalks so that they wont fall through the grates of the grill. With this foil packet method, you can use any size asparagus you like, and theres no risk of losing the stalks in the fire!
Notes On Grills And Equipment
Gas Grill: If you have a gas grill turn all of the burners on to high to preheat them. Keep the grill lid closed while you preheat the grill to allow it to get very hot. Once it is hot, use your grill brush to remove any burnt on debris from previous meals.
Charcoal Grill: Preheat your charcoal completely before grilling. I like to use a blend of mostly hardwood charcoal plus a few briquettes. Using a sick or tongs rake out the coals to cover the bottom of the kettle, so that there are no hot spots. Make sure that your grill rack is hot and clean before adding on the asparagus.
Note: charcoal grills tend to run hotter than gas grills, so the timing for this recipe will be faster than for gas. Thin asparagus will take only one or two minutes over hot charcoal.
Vegetable Grill Basket
If you have a vegetable grill basket, this is definitely the recipe to use it! Asparagus tends to fall between the grill grates, even if you are careful, so the grill basket really helps to prevent that.
I also like that they have more surface area and help to brown the asparagus better.
Note: For best results preheat the grill pan completely before adding the asparagus.
Stovetop Grill Pan
If you do not have an outdoor grill you can definitely make this on your stovetop grill pan. This is the style I recommend. You will have to cook the asparagus in batches. Use high heat, and if the pan is smoking excessively, simply adjust the heat down as needed.
Don’t Miss: Best Outdoor Electric Grills 2021
Why You Should Blanch Asparagus Before Grilling It
Although vegetables tend to take a backseat to proteins when it comes to summer grilling, perfectly grilled vegetables can take your barbecue spread from average to extraordinary. And when it comes to grilling asparagus the narrow, fibrous green vegetables with a mildly bitter, grassy taste one simple tip could make or break your vegetable side dish.
According to one food blogger, the secret to making perfectly tender, snappy grilled asparagus is a step that happens before the produce ever hits the grill. In order to prevent the asparagus from drying out on the high-heat cooking surface, it’s important to blanch the raw veggies prior to grilling.
Blanching is a preparation method that involves immersing an ingredient most commonly tough vegetables, like carrots, broccoli, and green beans in a pot of boiling water before, typically, plunging the ingredient in an ice water bath to immediately stop the cooking process . Blanching, which is used to soften, partially cook, and enhance the color of an ingredient, is typically followed by a secondary cooking method.
According to Bon Appétit, when it comes to asparagus, which has a notably fibrous texture, blanching is a good idea before just about any cooking method, including roasting, searing, and grilling.
Grilled Asparagus Flavor Variations
- Veggies: You can add other quick-cooking vegetables to these foil packets if youre looking for a little variety. I recommend trying sliced zucchini, diced red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, thinly sliced red onions or even frozen corn kernels.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor by adding lemon zest, sun dried tomatoes, olives, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, cooked crumbled bacon, pine nuts or sliced almonds.
- Cheese: After the asparagus packets are cooked through, add a sprinkle of parmesan, feta or mozzarella cheese.
This grilled asparagus in foil is my go-to vegetable side dish when its hot out. If youre an asparagus fan, youll definitely want to give this one a try.
You May Like: How To Grill Pork Loins
Blanching Is Key To Perfectly Grilled Asparagus
Blanching not only enhances the vibrant green color of the asparagus, but partially cooks the vegetable so that it has to spend less time on the grill. Failing to blanch the asparagus before adding it to the grill could result in dry, unevenly cooked vegetables that are overcooked on the outside but undercooked in the center.
To properly blanch asparagus, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and drop your cleaned and trimmed asparagus into the pot. Let the asparagus cook in the pot until the vegetables are slightly tender and almost fully cooked to your liking, or for about 3 to 4 minutes .
If you plan on grilling the asparagus immediately, use tongs to transfer the asparagus to a bowl and toss the veggies with olive oil and seasonings before transferring to the grill. If you’re prepping your asparagus in advance, transfer the blanched asparagus to a large bowl full of ice water to shock the vegetable. Drain the bowl and set the asparagus aside until it’s time to grill.
Once you’ve completed that pivotal first prep step, other expert tips for grilling vegetables include cooking asparagus over direct heat and using skewers inserted into the asparagus crosswise to prevent the thin veggie from slipping between the grill grates. Finish your grilled asparagus with a flavorful miso sabayon or fruity for a next-level vegetable dish.
The Best Way To Grill Asparagus Youve Got Options
Should you barbecue asparagus in foil, wrap it in bacon, put it in a grill basket, or simply place it directly on the grill rack? Any of these methods will work great! We’ll show you how to grill asparagus using the method you prefer.
Before you get started, thoroughly wash and trim the asparagus. Then cook according to one of the methods below.
Test Kitchen Tip: Any time you cook asparagus, try to use spears that are uniform in diameter to ensure all are done at the same time.
Read Also: Dual Gas And Charcoal Grill
How To Cook Asparagus On The Grill
After washing and trimming the asparagus, simply follow these steps:
- Generously brush the stalks with olive oil or melted butter or margarine. This keeps the spears from sticking.
- If grilling asparagus on a charcoal grill , place the spears directly on the grill rack over medium coals, perpendicular to the wires on the rack.
- If grilling asparagus on a gas grill preheat the grill. Reduce heat to medium and place asparagus directly over the heat, perpendicular to the wires on the rack.
- Grill the asparagus, uncovered, 7 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, rolling asparagus occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- If desired, scatter some shredded or shaved Parmesan over the asparagus before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip: If you like, you can place the asparagus in a grill basket so there’s no chance of spears falling through the grates grill as directed above.
What To Serve With Grilled Asparagus In Foil
This healthy asparagus side dish is just so delicious! Youll find that it pairs easily with just about everything. So enjoy it while you can, because spring asparagus season is truly too short! If you make this Grilled Asparagus in Foil, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on , TikTok, , , and for more Well Seasoned recipes! DONT FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what youre up to in the kitchen!
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
How To Grill Asparagus Wrapped In Bacon
Enhance the smoky flavor of grilled asparagus by wrapping it in bacon. Follow these steps for bacon-wrapped asparagus grilled to perfection:
- Wash and trim 12 ounces of fresh asparagus.
- On a plate, arrange 12 bacon slices between four sheets of paper towels. Microwave 1½ to 2 minutes or until partially cooked but not brown cool.
- Divide asparagus into six portions. Wrap two slices of bacon around each portion and secure with toothpicks.
- Grill asparagus bundles, covered, on a greased rack over medium 8 to 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp and asparagus is crisp-tender, turning frequently to avoid burning.
Cooking asparagus on the grill is just so easy! So now that you’ve learned how to make asparagus on the grill, why not learn how to grill other vegetables popping up at the market or in your garden? Just about anything under the sun tastes great when grilled over the coals. And when it’s not good grilling weather, there are plenty of other cooking methods for asparagus that don’t require a grill.
Grilling Asparagus In A Grill Basket Or Vegetable Grate
If you have a grill basket or vegetable grate, this is a great place to use that accessory. Place the trimmed spears into a grill basket on on the grate, making sure they are not layered too deeply. You want them to cook quickly and evenly, so while you dont need only a single layer of vegetables in the basket or tray, you want to make sure everything has a chance to be at the bottom against the fire, so dont stack them too thickly.
Toss them every few minutes as they grill, until they have some nice browned spots and are tender. This will take anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes total, depending on how many asparagus are in the basket, whether the basket was heat on the grill to start with, how high the heat of the fire is, and again the thickness of the stalks.
Read Also: Pork Chops On The Grill How Long To Cook
Making Grilled Asparagus On The Grill Grates
For the first method, well show you how to grill the asparagus directly on the grill grates for a nice char.
- Trim the Asparagus: First, cut or snap off the rough ends of the asparagus stalks.
- Season the Asparagus: Next, season the asparagus with avocado or olive oil and garlic parsley salt.
- Grill the Asparagus: Preheat a gas grill to 400°F or get the coals in your charcoal grill nice and hot. Place the asparagus stalks diagonally across the grill grates and cook for 3 minutes on the first side. Flip the asparagus over and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. Serve and enjoy!
Should I Cut Or Snap Asparagus
The conventional wisdom is that this natural snap-off point is where the unpalatable toughness ends, and the tender asparagus begins. This is one snap decision thats dead wrong. Of course, cutting and peeling individual asparagus spears takes time. But in this case, time really is money.
Yes! Place packet on grill over low heat. Cover grill cook 10 to 15 minutes, rotating packet ½ turn after 4 minutes, until asparagus is tender. To serve, cut large X across top of packet carefully fold back foil to allow steam to escape.
You May Like: Grilled Chicken Recipes On Stove
Pro Tips For The Best Grilled Asparagus
A couple of pro tips will help you get the most out of your grilled asparagus.
- Use thick asparagus stalks if youre cooking on grates. Avoid using thinner stalks if youre grilling the asparagus directly on the grill grates. This will prevent the spears from falling through into the fire!
- Avoid over flipping the asparagus. Avoid over flipping the spears or foil packet. If youre cooking on grates, over flipping can compromise the char marks. If youre steaming the asparagus in the foil packet, youll increase the odds of tearing the foil.
- Play around with different seasonings. This is a great baseline recipe, but feel free to tweak it with your favorite seasonings. Tack on some freshly cracked black pepper Add a squeeze of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar right after they come off the grill.
Hot Tip: Dont want to fire up the grill? Use a grill pan on your stove top instead.
Simple Crispy Grilled Asparagus Recipe
Lets tie up all this knowledge with a simple and quick recipe for grilling asparagus. The flavor will do wonders for your guests palate and it will surely balance all that meat flying around! Just make sure all your ingredients are fresh.
Preparation Time : 5-minutes
- 1 pound of freshly harvested asparagus.
- 2 spoonfuls of olive oil.
- Half a teaspoon of fine-grained salt.
- Half a teaspoon of pepper.
- Preparation Procedure
- Preheat the grill to 450 °F
- Snap off the asparagus ends with your hand or use a sharp knife to chop them off.
- Use a large bow to mix the asparagus, the oil, the salt, and finally the pepper !
- Now, agitate the whole bow by shaking and tossing until all the asparagus is neatly filmed with the oil and seasoning.
- Pour the mixture into a grilling basket and place it on the grill. Flip the basket at least once during the 6 minutes cooking time.
Note: If you dont have a grilling basket, clean your grill properly and then place the asparagus directly on the grills grates. You can also use garlic salt in place of both seasonings. You can also sprinkle some lemon juice on top to bring out the full flavor.
Thats it! Your grilled asparagus is ready for serving, preferably hot from the grill!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Hot Dogs On The Grill