New York Strip Steak Recipe Variations
- Scale the ingredients up or down depending on how many people you plan to serve. You can easily cook twice as many steaks, or cut it back to just 1 pound of meat.
- Seasoning: we love the simple combination of herbs and spices in our all-purpose house seasoning, but you can substitute with any seasoning blend of your choice. Pick your favorite steak seasoning blend, or just use a good amount of kosher salt, freshly-ground black pepper and garlic powder.
- Indoor Grilling: if you dont have access to an outdoor grill, you can grill these steaks on the stovetop by using an indoor grill pan. Just make sure that the grill pan is preheated really well over high heat so that you can achieve that great sear on the outside.
My New York Strip Steak Recipe: Cast Iron Pan Fry And Oven Finish
I get a cast iron pan smoking hot and then sear the steak on one side, turn it over and stick it in the oven. Make sure you put on your exhaust fan and open windows or your smoke alarm will probably go off.
- Salt the steak 24 hours in advance. It goes into the meat overnight, adds moisture and enhances flavor
- Dont cover steaks in the fridge. The outside of the steak should be dry if you want to sear them. Put them on a rack so both sides dry.
- Make sure the steak is dry, before searing. When ready to cook, I used to think my steak needed to come down to room temperature, but I now find that I get a better sear with a cold steak, as long as the steak is dry. Its the water that comes out of the steak that prevents that nice sear, also known as the mailard effect.
- Start with a very hot cast iron pan.
- Do not add oil until pan is hot.
- Use a round grill press, if you can, but no worries if you dont have one.
New York Strip Steak Recipe
Published September 19, 2022.This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This New York Strip Steak Recipe is the perfect dish to impress your guests that comes together in under 15 minutes. You will love the flavors of this steak once its finished.
I do love a good steak, but sometimes they are just so expensive when I order it when Im out to eat. If you feel the same way, then check out my Bistecca Alla Fiorentina, as well as Steak Frites with Lemon Butter.
Also Check: Firebirds Wood Fired Grill Locations
Can You Air Fry Steak
As a cook, youre always looking for new ways to experiment with your favorite dishes. This is why Im so excited about the recent trend of air frying! Its not just an easy way to prepare chicken or baconâyou can fry steak too! Just be sure that it has enough space in the basket and that you dont put any other food on top of it. The best part is, this method doesnt require much oil either!
Which Steak Is The Most Tender
Tender loin steak is the best cut of meat for tenderness and moistness. Tenders are often referred to as tender loins, filete, or fillet. They are usually cut from the top of a cows back, which is called the tender area. This area is considered the largest part of any animalÄôs body. When cutting tender meats, care should be taken to avoid cutting into the muscle itself. If you do, you will likely ruin the meat. Instead, cut the muscles away from themselves. To do this, hold the knife against the bone and cut across the grain of both sides of every muscle.
Dont Miss: How Much Is A Wagyu Tomahawk Steak
Also Check: Recipe For Grilled Rack Of Lamb
Why You Should Air Fry Steak
Cooking steak is an art form. For some, its about cooking the best meal for their family or friends for others, its a way to show off how good they are in the kitchen. Either way, there are many different ways to cook steak and even more opinions on what method is best.
One of these methods that people seem to be talking about lately is air frying. Air fryers can be used instead of ovens or traditional stovetops when cooking steaks which mean less time standing over a hot stove and potentially less risk of burning yourself with oil .
If you prefer medium-rare, then just cook for 10 minutes. If you like more well-done meat, then cook it 15 or 20 minutes longer! One of my favorite things about air frying is that everything cooks at once, so theres no need to worry about overcooking one side while undercooking another side. This makes air-fried steaks perfect when hosting friends and family because everyone gets their food simultaneously!
How Can You Make Tough Meat Tender
The following recipes offer many tips and tricks for cooking the perfect New York strip, but the recommendations below are general rules for getting a more tender steak.
- Gently massage the meat with your fingers to break down the muscle fibers before seasoning and cooking
- Always salt the steak which also helps break down the muscle fibers
- Bring the steak to room temperature so that it cooks evenly
- After cooking, let steaks rest a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute for more juicy and tender beef.
Don’t Miss: What Part Of Cow Is Steak
What Is Special About New York Strip Steak
New York Strip is also called Top Loin Strip or Kansas City Steak. Its the premium cut from in front of the short loin.
The strip is not only one of the most tender steaks, but also one with a lot of flavor. The marbling keeps it from drying out when cooking and makes for a deliciously juicy steak.
How To Cook New York Strip Steak In The Oven
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free.
Oven steak recipes are super popular here at Wholesome Yum, and its time to add one more: How to cook New York strip steak in the oven! This New York strip steak recipe is made with just 5 pantry staples to let the flavor shine.
If you like this New York strip steak recipe, try my other oven steak recipes: filet mignon, sirloin steak, and flank steak. They all use this tried and true stovetop-to-oven method that cooks your steaks perfectly every time. You can also make surf and turf with New York strip.
You May Like: Italian Sausage On The Grill
Is New York Strip Tender
Yes, New York steaks are tender, as the muscle they come from doesnt do a lot of work, but they are less tender than the adjacent filet mignon. Cooking New York strip in the oven for just the right amount of time gives it the perfect balance of tenderness and chew that many people love. The size, thickness, and marbling of NY strip makes it easy to cook a perfect medium rare steak, but I also have a time chart below for other levels of doneness.
What Seasoning Do You Put On Steak
While there are a number of different types of steak seasoning available, the most common variety used on American beef is salt, pepper, and chili powder.
Other popular seasonings include garlic powder, paprika, and cumin. However, what type of steak you choose to grill or cook will also determine the specific type of seasoning that is required.
Don’t Miss: Bbq Pork Chops On The Grill
New York Strip Steak Ingredients
This New York Steak recipe is restaurant quality but in the comforts of your own home, and at a fraction of the cost. This steak will save you time and money by making it at home. Eat it in your pajamas surrounded by family or make a romantic dinner for two. However you want to eat it, just make it! You wont regret it!
- New York Steak: It is best to let your steak sit on the countertop at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the steaks ahead of time.
- Olive Oil: Warm the skillet with the oil before cooking.
- Butter: This helps keep the steak moist and tender as it is cooking.
- Garlic Cloves: Adding the garlic cloves brings more intense flavor.
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme Sprigs: Perfect for adding at the end overtop the steak.
Tips For The Perfect New York Strip
- I recommend using a heavy pan such as a cast iron or an enameled pan to get a nice crust on your steak.
- While I really like the flavor of the garlic and the thyme with the meat, you can use other herbs such as rosemary, sage, or add a sprinkle of fresh parsley or basil at the end of the cooking time.
- I recommend serving your steak immediately. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat your meat on the stove top or in the microwave, just be careful not to overcook it.
- Its best to use a neutral flavored oil with a high smoke point to get a nice crust on your meat. I typically use canola oil, but other good options include corn oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil and peanut oil.
- Pair your steak with a variety of side dishes for a memorable meal. I like to serve my filet with crockpot mashed potatoes and roasted green beans.
Recommended Reading: What Part Of The Cow Is Steak
How Do You Cook A Boneless New York Strip Steak On The Stove
If youre looking to cook a boneless New York Strip Steak on the stove, there are a few key things to keep in mind. First, make sure that your steak is properly seasoned. This will help ensure that its cooked to your desired results.
Next, watch your cooking time and make sure that it doesnt go too long. If it does, your steak will become tough and rubbery. Finally, be sure to allow your steak to rest before serving. This will help ensure that its cooked through and has a nice flavor.
How Do I Pan
Allow the pan to heat up to a medium-high temperature before adding the oil you can check the temperature of the oil by dropping a drop of water into it.When the water reaches the pan, the oil should sizzle and pop, indicating that you are ready to add the steak.Start by putting your New York strip in a pan with the broadest side facing up.
- When the meat is first placed in the pan, it should sizzle.
Also Check: Z Grills Vs Pit Boss
How Long To Cook A Steak On Each Side On The Stove
12 pound of ground beef1 teaspoon of salt114 teaspoons of black pepper1 tablespoon of olive oil, divided14 cup of bread crumbs3 tablespoons of milk
Pan Seared New York Strip Steak With Garlic Butter Sauce + Onions
Steak can be one of the most intimidating foods to cook because it can become overcooked and dry very easily. The truth is steak is not hard to cook at all! In fact, its super easy and only takes a few minutes. Its so much cheaper to make at home as well.. thats why youll never finding me at a steakhouse.
NY strip is my favorite cut of steak and I prefer it with the bone in because I always feel like it ads more flavor to the steak. But you can make this recipe with almost any cut of steak.
The secret to a good steak is a heavy duty pan that has good heat retention . Make sure to pat the steak well on both sides with a paper towel. This removes any access moisture that can ruin the steak while its cooking.
I used a mixture of spiced for the steak to give it a spicy crust. I used LOTS of salt and pepper and I know it looks a lot but remember there are no spices inside the steak so when you bite into the the crust is what gives the rest of the steak the flavor.
I melted a tablespoon of butter and some onions + garlic right on top of the steak while it was cooking. As soon as I tossed the onions and garlic in there they began to release the most appetizing aroma ever. Its like a mixture of the scent of brown butter + caramelized onions and garlic and lets not forget about the steak drippings. YUM!
Read Also: Best Steak Rub For Grilling
Temperatures For Your Ideal New York Steak
When you cook a steak, the best way to check the temperature is to use an instant read probe style thermometer. Stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to read its temperature. Remember that the best thing you can do for a steak, or any piece of meat is to let it rest. When it rests it will continue to rise in temperature, about 3-4 degrees at least. You will want to remove your steak right before it reaches its optimum temperature and let it finish cooking while it rests. This will result in the most succulent steak. I dont recommend cooking your New York Steak above 150 degrees, as it will become dry and tough.
- Rare: 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees Fahrenheit
- For Medium: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Well: 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well Done: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
What Oil Do You Cook Steak In
This is a question that many people are curious about. steak cookers bring out the best flavors when cooking it with different oils. Though there are a few popular oils used for steak cooking, each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
The following is an overview of some of the most common oil cookers used for steak, as well as what they use it for.
Recommended Reading: Bob’s Steak & Chop House
What Is New York Strip Steak
A strip steak comes from the short loin of a cow. This is a cut of meat that is not in heavy use by the cow, which means that it is particularly tender. A strip steak thats boneless is referred to as a New York strip steak. I find that this type of steak is not particularly expensive, but is full of flavor.
What Is The Best Pan To Fry Steak
When it comes to cooking steak, all of the experts believe that cast iron pans are the best possible choice. This is due to the fact that cast iron holds heat very effectively and can withstand extremely high temperatures without melting. Cast iron is also extremely durable, and in some cases, quite indestructible!
Recommended Reading: Grill Grates For Fire Pits
Steak Doneness Temperature Guide
The FDA recommends cooking steak to medium or at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature with at least a 3 minute rest time. For accuracy use an instant read meat thermometer.
Rare 125 degrees
Juicy and tasty New York Strip Steaks seared in a cast iron skillet and braised with a quick and easy garlic herb butter.
- Total Time:15 minutes plus resting time
- Yield:4 servings 1x
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 New York Strip Steaks
- Salt and pepper
Should I Cook Steak On The Stove Or In The Oven
When it comes to cooking steak, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, make sure your oven is trustworthy and has an accurate temperature.
Second, remember that cooking steak on the stove can be more consistent and reliable than cooking it in an oven. Finally, always use a precise degree of doneness when cooking steak this will ensure that its cooked to perfection every time.
Also Check: How To Cook Wings On The Grill
More Steak Recipes To Fall In Love With
Steak is a meal that can be cooked on a Tuesday night for no other reason then you want it. It can also turn a special occasion or holiday into something special. I love how versatile steak is, it can be used in so many dishes and in so many ways. For some of the best ways to eat steak, try one of these.
About New York Strip Steak Recipe:
New york strip steak with garlic butter and onions is a super easy and tasty steak house recipe. serve with baked potatoes and salad for a complete meal. the strip steak is a cut of beef steaks from the short loin from a cow. it consists of a muscle that does little work, the longissimus, making the meat particularly tender. this fantastic strip steak is the perfect dinner for date night or any special occasion. this delicious steak pairs well with lemon-herb potatoes, garlic goat cheese mashed potatoes or string bean and potato salad. garlic has long been recognized for its potential to reduce our risk of certain cancers. check out some more garlic recipes. read more about 14 science-backed health benefits of garlic.
Recommended Reading: Marinade Recipe For Grilled Chicken