Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2slicesof Bread per sandwich
- 3 4 slices of Cheese, Chef used America & Swiss
- Butter for Bread
- 2tablespoonsFresh Thyme finely chopped, use ½ if dried
- 1tablespoonMixed Dried Herbs thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil The Chef uses Herbs De Provence
- 2cupsCelery chopped
- 3x 28 ounces cans of peeled Italian Tomatoes
- 4cupsVegetable or Chicken stock
- ½cupTomato Paste
- ½cupor more Cream
Is It Good For You
Grilled cheese and tomato soup are as good for you as youd like to make it. When using things like cream, butter, and American cheese, I wouldnt say that its, good for you. However here are some things to make it healthier.
- Use no butter or cream in your tomato soup. Simply add all of the ingredients together and stew it over low heat. Puree it, season it.
- Use 100% whole grain bread with a piece of low-fat cheese or vegan cheese.
- When cooking the grilled cheese, use a healthy fat such as avocado oil or algae oil.
Just like anything, food should be eaten in moderation.
What Is The Best Cheese For Sandwich
Its a little bit subjective as to what the best cheese is for a grilled cheese sandwich. The two most traditional pieces of cheese used in grilled cheese are American cheese and cheddar cheese. Some other great cheeses are:
You will want to use soft cheeses for grilled cheese but could add a hard cheese to a soft cheese grilled cheese.
Recommended Reading: Grilled Chicken In Air Fryer
Yes It All Comes Down To A Sheet Pan Cook Both Soup And Sandwich On That Trusty Kitchen Multitasker And A Comforting Meal Is Yours In No Time
Listen to article
IT IS A TRUTH universally acknowledged that grilled cheese and tomato soup is the quintessential comfort-food combo. So, the ideal recipe needs to be easy and leisurely, full stop. Enter the sheet pan. Yep, that hero of weeknight suppers is also the secret to prepping the worlds lowest-effort soup and sandwich. The only other must-haves? A blender and some flexible pantry staples. From there, its just broil, blend, crunch, slurp.
To explore and search through all our recipes, check out the
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
Everyones favorite tomato soup with the most perfect mini grilled cheese bites! So comforting, so cozy.
I hope you all are recovering from Thanksgiving. I obviously ate way too much than I could actually handle and then had a second round of Thanksgiving leftovers on Friday where we had the most amazing turkey ham sandwiches with cranberry sauce and gravy-drenched boxed stuffing. Yeah, you heard right, boxed stuffing. We all devoured the chestnut-pancetta stuffing that was made for Thursday so we had to resort to Mrs. Cubbisons classic dressing. And surprisingly enough, the boxed ones are actually pretty good!
I am so grateful to be spending Thanksgiving with such an amazing family and to be surrounded by such awesome food. Although it saddens me that there are still many Hurricane Sandy victims left homeless on this holiday. With $50 billion in damages, the deaths of over a 100 people and thousands left homeless or without power, todays #SundaySupper is to lend a helping hand to those affected in the Northeast.
We were told to cook from our hearts and with that in mind, I couldnt help but make a huge batch of creamy tomato soup. Tomato soup brings such comfort, especially when some grilled cheese croutons are thrown in there. It has that soothing effect and definitely serves as the ultimate feel-good meal!
Also Check: How Long Grill Chicken Thighs
Easy Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese
Easy roasted tomato soup served with a simple, extra-cheesy grilled cheese sandwich is comfort food personified. Served with a swirl of cream and fresh basil, its your childhood favorite all grown up.
There are few things that scream home and comfortas much as a bowl of creamy tomato soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich. The simple meal consists of ingredients we all have in our homes so its the kind of recipe I turn to often. Whether as a simple lunch for the kids or a family dinner, tomato soup is the answer. Perfect for feeding a crowd and exactly what Im craving when the weather starts cooling down.
Homemade Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Sticks
Contributed by Barbara Singer
Here is a tasty, easy-to-prepare homemade tomato soup recipe that is sure to ward off the cold. Paired with grilled cheese sticks for dipping. It is the perfect comfort food combination.
This Homemade Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sticks recipe tops the canned version a hundred times over, and is worth the extra effort. Although, in reality, its pretty simple to make.
I have eaten plenty of canned tomato soup in my day and when my children were growing up, what was easier than opening up a can and serving it to them for lunch? After trying this homemade tomato soup recipe, I probably wont be eating the canned version again.
For chopping the veggies for this recipe a 7″ Santoku comes in handy.
To cut the grilled cheese sticks, the Pizza Cutter works wonders. Its a great job for the kids.
This recipe makes enough soup to feed about 16 people and can be prepared in less than an hour. To serve it to a crowd, make it ahead of time in a Dutch oven and then transfer it to a slow cooker and set the temperature on low or keep warm.
The crushed red pepper flakes add just a little kick and, if you can find them, the San Marzano tomatoes have a sweetness to them that you dont find in most other canned tomatoes. I didnt puree the soup until totally smooth, I left it just a little chunky. I also didnt add the cream, because I forgot.
Don’t Miss: California Fish Grill Culver City
Making It For A Crowd: Grilled Cheese In The Oven
Lets say youre making this grilled cheese and tomato soupfor a crowd that means anything other than 2 people. Should you make each sandwich to order? Well, you can. Or, you can make grilled cheese in the oven! Here are two ways to make grilled cheese for a crowd:
- Make grilled cheese in the oven! This method lets you make a large amount of sandwiches at once. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Make the sandwiches as noted in the recipe below. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 6 minutes per side, until golden brown .
- Or, make the grilled cheese and keep warm in the oven! Make the sandwiches on the stovetop, then wrap them in foil and keep warm in a 250 degree oven.
How To Make Homemade Tomato Soup: Some Tips
Every cook needs a great homemade tomato soup recipe, and this ones ours! It relies on a few simple ingredients to make big flavor. It takes just 25 minutes to make, and you can simmer it while you make the grilled cheese! Here are a few tips on assembling this simple soup:
- Fire-roasted tomatoes bring the best flavor. This type of canned tomato is roasted over a flame before canning, which makes it taste sweeter right out of the can. This means you can get away with less simmering time! Most mainstream grocery stores in the US now carry this type, but if you cant find them, just use the best quality tomatoes you can find.
- Give the soup a quick blend! You can use a standard blender or immersion blender, which makes a nice, creamy texture and helps emulsify the oil.
- Add fresh basil and a little butter. Fresh basil adds great flavor and an herby pop, but its not required! We like finishing the soup with butter to provide a rich, silky mouthfeel.
Read Also: Soho Asian Bar And Grill
Woman’s Incredible Recipe For ‘classic Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup’ Has Stolen Our Hearts
Do you enjoy making quick meals? Of course, you do. We do too! Fast meals make life enjoyable, especially after a long day. If its the weekend, you dont want to spend too much of your spare time cooking unless thats your hobby. For people that like to eat but want it fast, the recipes that deliver your meal fast are the winners. Since the weather is turning colder, weve prepared a tasty yet savory recipe we know youll enjoy.
Weve never loved the look of tomato soup so much. Plus, the bread she used to make her grilled cheese sandwich stole our hearts and mouths. Were so ready to dive head-first into this yummy meal. Lets see how the TikTok viewers reacted. User @Bbyambs said, Just tried this. Its so good. @AudraticEquation wrote, YES, CHEF! THANK YOU, CHEF. @Viv remarked, Thank goodness for you. MAKING tonight. @Paigez said, Im pregnant, and grilled cheese has been craving this one. I have to try! What kind of tomatoes did you use? @Kelllllllzz wrote, I Love this series. Tomato Soup is my favorite. Im loving the sourdough too with the grilled cheese.
Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Sticks
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 32-ounce container chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil leaves
- A small amount of fresh minced parsley
- 16 slices sandwich bread
About Barbara Singer
Cutco’s Home Cook
Barbara Singer was Cutcos first resident home cook and was part of the Cutco family for nearly 30 years. Her love of cooking was nurtured by her Italian heritage, including her mother who was an excellent cook. Barb often turned to her mother’s recipe box for inspiration. The recipes were decades old but still resonated in modern day. Barb enjoyed cooking all kinds of cuisines, trying new recipes and adding touches to make them her own. She especially enjoyed baking and considered various kinds of cheesecake to be one of her specialties. Barb officially retired from Cutco in 2019 and has left behind a treasure trove of delicious recipes.
Don’t Miss: Kitchenaid 4 Burner Gas Grill
Tips For A Gourmet Grilled Cheese
You can make any type of grilled cheese to go with this tomato soup. But our favorite is this gourmet grilled cheese! Just a few small tweaks take this classic sandwich from good to great. Heres what to know:
- Use sourdough bread or another type of artisan loaf or crusty bread. Great bread makes the sandwich!
- Combine shredded smoked gouda and cheddar cheese. The hint of smoky cheese makes this sandwich taste incredible! Shredded cheese is great for a grilled cheese, because it makes the gooiest, meltiest interior .
- Add a sweet element. Pairing sweet with the savory takes it to another level! Try tomato, fig or apricot jam, or a thinly sliced apple or pear.
How Do You Dress Up Tomato Soup
There are a few ways you can dress up a tomato soup recipe to help take it over the top and add the complexity of flavors.
- Add parmesan cheese to the top
- Drizzle in some crème Fraiche
- Top off with basil or chive oil
- Garnish with fresh chiffonade basil
- Garnish with fresh thyme
- Add sliced mozzarella and bake under the broiler
- Finish with croutons
Remember to add toppings that will complement the tomato soup, not compete with it.
You May Like: Made In Usa Pellet Grill
Extra Crispy Grilled Cheese Sandwich & Cream Of Tomato Soup
Grilled cheese and tomato soup go together like Prince and Purple Rain. For this quintessential pairing, I like to double down on the tomato flavor by adding thinly sliced roasted tomatoes to my sandwich, before schmearing it with mayo and toasting in a pan with parmesan, frico-style. Its the perfect balance of textures and flavor, and the ideally suited to dip into a classic cream of tomato soup.
Watch me make this grilled cheese:
Creamy Tomato Soup & Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 7 whole garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 3 Tablespoons EVOO
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can sliced carrots
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Florida Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices thick sliced bread
- 4 tablesoons butter, softened
- 1 clove of raw garlic, grated with a Microplaner
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Swiss Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 Muenster Cheese slices
Recommended Reading: Best Outdoor Electric Grill 2020
How To Make The Perfect Grilled Cheese:
- Coat nonstick pan in butter over medium/ high heat. When butter has melted and begins to bubble a bit take both slices of bread and rub the pan to evenly coat both slices in browned butter.
- Lower heat to medium/low setting and place cheese on bread layering other piece of bread on top. The key is to use a low heat so bread is grilled evenly and the cheese has enough time to get perfectly melted!
- Before flipping check to see that pan is still buttered, if not add more butter and flip (*if there is not enough butter the pan burns off what’s left and begins to smoke a little… you don’t want this.
- When both sides have reached the perfect golden brown remove from heat, cut in half, serve with delicious soup and go be cozy.
How To Make The Best Homemade Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese
- In a stockpot or large pot, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté diced onion over medium/high heat. Once onions become transparent and fragrant add the butter and stir. Once butter has melted add flour and stir until the onions look evenly coated.
- Add minced garlic and fresh sprigs of thyme stir for about a minute until fragrant.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth into the pot and stir. *I LOVE San Marzano tomatoes and really strongly recommend them for the tomatoes in this recipe.
- Add sea salt, bay leaves, dried basil and sugar
- Once soup begins to simmer, lower the heat and cover the pot . Let the soup simmer anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes occasionally stirring so nothing is left to burn at the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat then take out bay leaves and sprigs of thyme. From there add in the cream and season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste! When ready to serve grate Parmesan cheese on top-Enjoy!
Also Check: Propane Vs Natural Gas Grill
What Bread And Cheese Combinations Are Best For Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
While the classic combination of American cheese and white bread is always a favorite, there are endless possibilities when it comes to choosing the perfect bread and cheese pairing for your grilled cheese sandwich. Jean-Pierre uses American Cheese and Swiss in his grilled cheese.
But you can mix it up! For a sharp and savory flavor, try grilling your sandwich with sharp cheddar cheese and rye bread. Or, for a creamy and flavorful twist, try using Gruyere cheese and sourdough bread. You could even use pumpernickel bread and Swiss cheese. The types of cheeses you can try is almost endless.
And to take your sandwich to the next level try adding any of your favorite items, such as bacon, tomato, sliced onion, or avocado. The possibilities are endless! So dont be afraid to experiment. No matter what combination you choose, one thing is for sure, a delicious creamy, gooey, grilled cheese sandwich will always hit the spot!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich And Tomato Soup Recipe
Published September 25, 2019.This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Nothing more comforting than a homemade bowl of tomato soup with a delicious easy to make grilled cheese that comes together in under 30 minutes.
I can see my mom now. Popping a can of Campbells tomato soup and serving it up with some grilled cheese. Tomato soup, not so good. Grilled cheese? Great!
I wanted to give you the best of both worlds by making an insanely delicious homemade tomato soup recipe and then serving it alongside a classic grilled cheese and then one with a twist. If you want to take it to another level then make my croque monsieur.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Chicken Wings
How To Make Grilled Cheese
- 1. Add butter to a large pan over low heat until melted.
- 2. Place the bread down into the melted butter and cook for 90 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Flip the bread over and add the fig jam, cheese, and prosciutto to 1 toasted piece of bread and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the other piece of bread to the top of the bread with fig jam, cheese, and prosciutto.
- 5.: Slice and serve.
Next time leave the can on the shelf because this combo is fantastic!